I found this fun blog post idea while searching the internet a couple of months back when I was running low on blog ideas for the future. I had thought that it was pretty cool. So basically, it is a list of thirty things or goals or where exactly I want to be and what I want to accomplish in life before I turn thirty years old, in no particular order whatsoever.
Here is my “Thirty By Thirty” list:
- Graduate from college. A simple goal for most people in this generation as most high school graduates continue their educations with college degrees. The only thing that might be different in my case is that I am aiming to earn my Master’s Degree so I am able to teach in a classroom of my own.
- Travel. I have already traveled to a few places that were located out of the country. However, I really want to travel across Europe. I also want to explore some more of the Caribbean Islands and tropical places. I would also love to travel to see the Seven Wonders of the World, as well as some of the major landscapes in the United States such as the Grand Canyon.
- Get married. Obviously everyone hopes to find their true love and prince (or princess) like the Disney and Romance movies show. I am no exception to this. I hope that before I turn 30 I have found the love of my life and I hope to be married to them, although I suppose I could settle for engaged.
- Buy my first home. This is clearly a huge stepping stone in becoming an adult, having my own bills and mortgage to pay and being responsible for them. I really look forward to making my “Dream House” pinterest board a reality.
- Buy my first real (nice) car. It’s basically destined to happen that your first car is well, crappy and cheap. I look forward to owning a newer car that comes with being older and being a better more responsible driver. Of course, I need to get my license and first car before this can happen, but that’s coming in the near future.
- Go on a road trip. This goes along with having a car that is obviously dependable. But I want to someday (before the age of thirty) take a road trip across the United States. I want to stop at the major sight seeing spots along the way accompanied with some of my best friends.
- Study abroad. The only time you can really “travel abroad” is in your college years. I am hopeful that I am able to travel abroad to a foreign country and learn about the education systems in place there and compare them to the education systems we have here at the United States. We can learn a lot of different techniques for learning from other cultures.
- Face some of my fears. I tend to be really hesitant when it comes to trying new things or facing something that scares me. I want to be able to overcome some of those fears in the next fifteen or so years.
- Start a family. Scary thought when it seems so far out into the future but around the age of 30 I’ll probably want to start thinking about having a family of my own. Or maybe I’ll even already have started one. This one can definitely wait for a while longer, but someday.
- Have a family pet (or two). With the starting a family, along comes owning my first pet. I’ve grow up with having pets my entire life but this is the first time I would have my own, to myself that is.
- Meet my best friend. It sounds crazy but out of all the friends you have now, you still may have not met your best friend. I met my best friend on twitter who does these blogs with me, but we still have yet to meet in person.
- Exercise regularly. Basically I just want to stay healthy. I don’t really go to the gym that much now but I’d really love to start being more active.
- Have a job, that uses my degree. After studying my major for four years (and getting my Master’s after six) I’d really love to have a job in my field of interest. After all, college loans would be a waste if I didn’t use my degree!
- Run a 5K marathon. I am looking into doing the Color Run next year, but if that doesn’t work out there are tons of other 5K’s I could take part in. The hardest part would be getting myself motivated to train for them.
- Spend some time volunteering for an organization. I already volunteer for multiple organizations, but it’s such a rewarding experience. I love spending time with the organizations I volunteer for and want to continue to do so throughout the upcoming years.
- Spend more time with family. I have a huge family and family is extremely important to me. Spending time with my family is definitely something that I need to cherish now because you never know when the last time you’ll see someone is.
- Attend a major sports game. For me, I really love football. I’ve never been to a NFL football game, despite living only several miles from one of them. For you, you may have other sports that you enjoy and want to watch.
- Learn something new. This is kinda in simple form. I want to learn so many things that I don’t already know how to do. This could be anything from learning a new language to learning how to ski. Either way, I want to learn how to do something I don’t know how to do right now.
- Date someone who isn’t your “type”. It seems kind silly, why would you want to date someone different than everyone else you’ve dated in the past? But that’s exactly the reason why! This person might surprise you, after all, there’s a reason why your past relationships didn’t work out, am I right?
- Start saving for retirement. Not surprisingly, the earlier you start saving for retirement, the more you save and the sooner you can retire. I hope to start saving as soon as I can so I can enjoy many years without working when I am older.
- Pay off my college loans (and or credit card debt). Interest on student loans or credit cards is an awful thing. I want to be responsible with my money and pay off my debts as soon as possible.
- Become a better cook. Right now, my cooking skills are at a college level, some simple pasta and sauce, mac and cheese, nothing too fancy. But learning to cook a full meal now, and a yummy, healthy one for that matter, will help when it comes to living on my own!
- Attend my favorite singer’s concert. Or band, or whatever you listen to. I’ve seen a handful of concerts and they are always a fun time. However, there’s a few other artists that I really want to see on stage before I turn 30.
- Become a leader. I’ve always been someone who just follows somewhat in the paths of other people. I’ve never really had a leadership position. I hope to become a leader in some form of club or organization while I am attending college.
- Have a stable income. Money surely doesn’t buy happiness in any sense however, I think that it is important to be responsible with your money. It’s key to be stable in life before buying a home or starting a family.
- Make more friends. In high school, I didn’t have that many great friends. Since going to college, I’ve made a bunch of new friends and I hope to expand and grow our friendships over the course of my education, and then into the years to come.
- Become more organized. When it comes to certain things, like my school supplies, I can be extremely organized and put together. The thing I’m not that great at keeping clean is my room or desk.
- Watch the most popular TV series seasons on Netflix. I’ve seen a couple of TV shows on Netflix, but I definitely haven’t ventured into some of the most talked about, such as Orange is the New Black or Grey’s Anatomy.
- Get to know my family history. There’s tons of websites today that allow you to track back your ancestors. I find this extremely interesting and would love to see what pops up under my family tree.
- Make small acts of kindness. By this I mean paying for the next person in the drive thru’s coffee in the morning or giving some money or food to a homeless person. Sometimes the little things in life can mean the most to someone else.
And that’s that! Making this list was very entertaining and I loved thinking about what I wanted in the future. Some things were pretty obvious and came to me quickly. As I was finishing up my list, I had some trouble thinking of some other things I wanted to do before I was thirty. Overall, I enjoyed making this blog and hopefully some day I’ll look back at this and be able to check everything off as complete!
What’s on your 30 by 30 list?